Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chroma Key Experiment



I did this experiment about a year and a half ago. I wanted to see if I could set up a green screen, capture a human walk cycle, and implement it into a flash game.

[be sure to click on the game screen before attempting to move the avatar]

http://www.jasonleon.com/tests/chromakey/

The process I used to extract the background for my walk cycle is called Chroma key compositing. It's the same trick that the local news uses to show the weather (wo)man in front of a weekly forecast.

I made my green screen background with green felt. Just a tip, you'll need a ton of light sources. I had the equivalent of 4 flood lights which wasn't powerful enough to eliminate all of the shadows. Shadow was what caused the distortion that surrounds the edges of my avatar.

All in all, fun project. I never really had time to mess with it further but there are certainly some neat concepts that could come from it.

No comments:

About Me

I produce and engineer games and applications. | Portfolio | LinkedIn